Wednesday, April 9, 2014

New Website Gallery: Aerial Arboretum: Changing Perspective

In my March 5 post I alluded to the fact that I was sharing a "work in progress" when it was just a gut feeling, "what if" idea, well before I had finalized my vision.  As I mentioned in the previous post, this was not my typical routine as I don't like sharing creative ideas until completely finished.  Well I'm happy to report that my original rough vision has evolved to its present state of having a strong, definitive approach that has led to my new portfolio/website gallery, Aerial Arboretum: Changing Perspective

First let me share my vision.  I have long admired trees as a favorite subject matter for my images. Texture, shadow, shape, pattern, and branching were often the focus of my botanical fascination as I captured images from ground level.  My challenge with this new portfolio project was to be able to present trees in a different manner, one that broke with tradition and offered something new and interesting.  So, to break a habit of repetitive vision, I pondered whether if I changed my perspective would that enhance my ultimate experience. I came to the realization that changing one’s perspective is an extremely valuable tool for comprehending the familiar.  Things that were once hidden in one view now became visible in another, offering a new perspective on a once familiar object or scene. Being innovative in thinking about trees enabled me to shift my perspective and imagine viewing them in a totally different view, one from above or within.  A few words from Wayne Dyer summarizes my project perfectly:



If you change the way you look at things
The things you look at change
      

Orbit
© 2014, Joanne Scherf


So in this series, Aerial Arboretum: Changing Perspective http://www.joannescherf.com/#!/portfolio/C0000vTXoT0.UTko/G0000ILYCLQGQH   I continued to capture trees from ground level, yet with the vision of creating an artful, aerial or internal perspective using post-production techniques that makes it appear as though one is viewing trees from above. The focus is now shifted from looking at trees from a typical parallel approach to one that provides an immersion experience from above where the viewer is surrounded by swirling arrangements and compositions primarily of stems, leaves, and branches.  Aerial Arboretum: Changing Perspective alters the reality and prevents letting only one view satisfy or limit curiosity.  As Henry David Thoreau once stated, “It’s not what you’re looking at that matters, it’s what you see.

To view the current collection in Arial Arboretum: Changing Perspective, go to: http://www.joannescherf.com/#!/portfolio/C0000vTXoT0.UTko/G0000ILYCLQGQHhA.  Over time I will continue to add more trees to this collection in the hopes of presenting the familiar subject of trees in a new perspective, one of immersion and from within.






No comments:

Post a Comment