Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Image of the Month: April 2014

For this month I'd like to show you the original image and then how I proceeded to change my vision with a few techniques to make a more artful interpretation.  The scene is a typical Michigan fall experience; small home with bright red barn nestled amidst the wheat-colored grasses gently blowing in the crisp autumn breeze.  Walking on one of the new hiking trails connecting the small resort towns of Glen Haven, Glen Arbor and Empire my eye caught the beautiful contrast and compatibility of the red barn surrounded by the golden grasses.

Typically that would be enough for just a "pretty" picture. But as usual I was not satisfied and proceeded to use the original capture as raw material to launch other creative ideas.  Thus for this "image of the month" I'm presenting not one, but 4 images!  Each one offers a little different twist offering something for everyone's taste.


© 2013, Joanne Scherf


The original image above highlights the juxtaposition of complimentary colors of the red barn amidst the golden field grasses.  Nice but nothing to write home about.  Plus I don't typically compose my images with a central figure almost dead-center but in this case I didn't want to crop it so the barn was less centric and lose the fantastic leading line of the trees.  So what treatment could I apply that would make other areas of the image attract more attention?  How could I use the central focus on the barn to my advantage and make one pause longer?  The three images below offer a variety of solutions that I think you'll enjoy.



© 2013, Joanne Scherf

This image was my first creative attempt to provide a slight twist.  I simply created a mirror image of the original composition and now the bottom of the image, though a duplication of the sky above, looks like water of a lake.

© 2013, Joanne Scherf

Onward to the next innovative effort in continued search of the best interpretation.  This image above is sepia-toned with an aged effect to the paper giving it more of an antique feel.  I then brought color back to the barn in hopes of further drawing the viewer's attention to the central element of the composition while at the same time providing the complexity of the mirrored tree line to contemplate, with an additional punch supplied by the texture of the paper.


© 2013, Joanne Scherf

Though I actually created 8 more versions of this image I'm presenting this as the final interpretation.  I ended up doing a double mirror effect of the red barn.  I also was able to use a tilt-shift technique to select my area of soft focus and detailed focus in post-production.  This in itself is quite amazing to be able to make selective focal adjustments after image capture; thus resulting in a variety of images with different areas of soft focus.

I guess what I'm trying to say with all these interpretations of the original image is this....don't be satisfied with the first click of the shutter or only one post-production interpretation.  The possibilities are absolutely endless; your imagination is your only limitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment