Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Visual Twist on a Familiar Standard

Just to change things up a bit I'm presenting something other than a photographic image for your consideration, yet it still falls into the creative category of "what if".  In the attempts to update my "artist" resume I find myself adhering to the typical, mundane format that is strictly text and linear in nature.  You know the version....row upon row of bulleted items that looks just like the next one in the pile.

What if one were to approach the resume from a more visual perspective, especially helpful for those in the arts who are trying to sell their craft.  So, why not practice your craft in the design of your resume?  Here's a sample I came up with for my situation as a photographer who tries to wear many hats of consultant and such.  This visual mapping of my resume in a 5x20 tri-fold format that condensed my previously 2-page text-only resume into a visual feast making it very simple for any viewer to quickly ascertain if my skills and experience match a particular need.  Beyond the resume aspect, this visual version also acts as a perfect marketing tool; a 2-for-1 combo for not only getting a job or assignment, but also a nice PR piece at the same time.

So next time you attempt to send out your resume, think again about how it looks and the message it silently conveys.  Instead of using a different header typeface, or colored paper to stand out from the pile, maybe a more visual treatment is just the trick.  Click on the resume below to see larger view.


© 2013, Joanne Scherf

No comments:

Post a Comment