Monday, July 1, 2013

Image of the Month: July

Often when I'm out capturing work for a specific series I always have one eye open for the other spontaneous possibilities that may occur.  This is one scenario where in the midst of setting up the tripod, calculating exposures, and waiting for the extended time of long exposure, my eye searched the area and I came upon this scene.  The capture is just a traditional, straight-forward focus and shoot, nothing fancy, no long exposure, special lens, or manipulation...just what my eyes observed that day.

© 2013, Joanne Scherf
For a somewhat pedestrian water image it has a lot to offer if one takes the time to read the composition. For example, I particularly like the serenity the scene evokes and from a composition perspective it fills the frame with foreground, middle and background interest of both vertical and horizontal aspects.  Plus the added bonus of texture the ripples of water in the background provides, and the playful meandering of the lily pads strewn across the middle.  Another attribute would be the vertical spikes of the grasses in the foreground that provides leading lines and nudges the viewer to scan the entire frame for content and intrigue all around.

So I'm all for pre-visualization but at the same time a huge proponent for the spontaneity of just wandering and taking delight in whatever discovery comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment