Thursday, December 6, 2012

First Time in Black/White Magazine

I announced a few weeks ago that I was finally accepted into the fine art publication Black & White Magazine.  This was cause for celebration since I finally attained acceptance after four years of rejection letters, plus the fact that BW Magazine is the ultimate standard for black & white images within select circle of fine art photography collectors in the art world; indeed a worthy goal to set.

So today I'm happy to report an update on my news of winning entry into the esteemed Black & White Magazine's Special Issue #95, February 2013 Single Image.  I just received my copy in the mail yesterday so I'm guessing if it's not in bookstores today it will be before week's end.  I'm honored to be in the Landscape/Nature category with my image, Axis Mundi 3 displayed on page 44.  All in all 2013 is indeed starting off in the right direction; always a good sign.




This image Axis Mundi 3 came about as an assignment for a class I was taking with an award-winning expert in neutral density filters to document dramatic landscapes and architectural subject matter.  It was taken in mid-March 2012 at a nearby county park on a cold, rainy day; perfect for capturing the drama of black/white.  This is one of several I took that day that eventually became a new website gallery, Axis Mundi or the "Cosmic Trees of Life".  Go to my website homepage of www.joannescherf.com or directly to the gallery page of http://joannescherf.photoshelter.com/gallery/Axis-Mundi-Cosmic-Trees-of-Life/G0000tRcfW37SrY4/ for the full Axis Mundi gallery.


I hear the wind among the trees
Playing the celestial symphonies
I see the branches downward bent
Like keys of some great instrument
                                                                        -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow



Clouds appear
And bring to man a chance to rest
From looking at the moon
                                                                                     -Basho haiku

5 comments:

  1. Veeeeery nice and sending my CONGRATULATIONS to you......a reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm happy that I know you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    This picture is exquisite...the depth and layers is wonderful.
    Nice Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Joanne!

    So happy to see your work getting the recognition and exposure it deserves! Very well done!

    Please stay in touch and keep me updated on any new work!

    Regards from Vancouver,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all for your kind comments. Recognition from friends and peers are such an incredible positive reinforcement for my work...thanks! Joanne

    ReplyDelete