Saturday, December 1, 2012

Image of the Month: December

It's that time of year when the holiday decorating reaches a fever pitch. With all this unusually warm weather it has provided even more time to put up just one more string of lights.  Well that's all fine for the amateurs but I've found a professional in a nearby neighborhood that trumps all attempts to exceed at this truly American competitive event of holiday decorating.

This particular house has been on my radar and shot list for years and through a convergence of circumstances I arrived at the house yesterday to catch the owner in the midst of putting on the final touches.  I didn't get his name, but he had a full white beard, stocky physique and very jolly demeanor; no joke!  He was assisted by his great-grandson "Peanut" and Rottweiler dog "Charlie" who politely made sure I kept my distance. His lot is an unusual shape and quite large but every inch is filled with a creative display of makeshift arrangements and scenes of Christmas.  The display is up for just the month of December probably because the electric bill is equivalent to most people's yearly bill.  Since it attracts throngs of people, cars, and assorted chartered buses arrives non-stop to catch a glimpse of his creation, it's an annual event I'm sure the neighbors have mixed feelings about.

© 2012, Joanne Scherf

That said, I'm definitely going back for several more trips to explore this rich opportunity for adding to my urban/street photography.  It will be a nice addition to my ongoing book on the quirkiness of our American culture.  Since I just had my iPhone with me I took just a few shots but I think you'll get the idea. In keeping with the quirkiness and kitschy theme of the site I used some apps to make it look nostalgic and vintage...hope you like it.

© 2012, Joanne Scherf

No comments:

Post a Comment