Tuesday, April 17, 2012

New Website Gallery: Axis Mundi

Trees.  Clouds.  As an avid hiker this subject matter has always captivated me, providing me leisurely moments of staring off into space or contemplating life's journey under the protective canopy of a variety of trees.  This new series, Axis Mundi:  Cosmic Trees of Life, was just loaded onto my website for your viewing.  Go to the large, red S on the top right corner of this site for quick access to my website.

While trees are the main focus of this series I am also transfixed by the swirl of clouds that provide a natural and dramatic backdrop.  Axis Mundi:  Cosmic Trees of Life, is a photo essay that I will be adding to on an ongoing basis with the hopes of publishing a book down the road.  As you'll see from viewing the new gallery, I chose to display the images in only black & white as I think that format adds to the overall drama and abstract quality. With this topic I thought the use of color might distract from the visual majesty of the trees and magical illumination of the trees backlit by the clouds.  No trickery or nothing extraordinary was done in the capture of these images. I'm just taking time to witness the beauty of nature that surrounds us which we so often pass by in our pursuit of life in the fast lane.

As for my artistic intent, basically Axis Mundi:  Cosmic Trees of Life is the "world center"; a connection between the sky and earth.  The trees unite the three planes: sky (branches), earth (trunk) and underworld (roots) thereby creating a space at the "center of the world".


I hear the wind among the trees
Playing the celestial symphonies;
I see the branches downward bent,
Like keys of some great instrument.
                     - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow




Clouds appear
And bring to men a chance to rest
From looking at the moon
                    - Basho; haiku


© 2012, Joanne Scherf
Go to my website at www.joannescherf.com to view the other images in this NEW GALLERY.....Click on the large, red "S" in the top right corner of this blog site.  That gets you to the website directly and quickly.  Click on Galleries, then Axis Mundi:  Cosmic Trees of Life.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment